ABOUT THE ‘WHY’
WITNESS believes in the power of effective civic media to protect human rights and drive social change. As advocates and visual storytellers, we know the power of media and technology to amplify marginalized voices, hold abusers accountable, and catalyze movements. We are a global hub of innovative problem-solvers committed to maximizing the potential of the 21st century’s most powerful tools for defending human rights.
For the past 26 years, we have supported activists in more than 100 countries and built trusted networks with grassroots communities, lawyers, and technology platforms – ceaselessly innovating to accelerate human rights and maximize civic participation. We are at a pivotal moment where we have the opportunity to exponentially expand our influence and reach, and are building a dynamic communications team to help lead the way.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Communications Associate supports efforts to raise awareness and visibility of WITNESS, its programs and mission, and to engage current and prospective partners and donors worldwide. The Communications Associate assists in the development and execution of written and multimedia content for communication strategies including outreach via the web, social media, email, and events. The Communications Associate also supports media outreach, and monitoring and reporting on the performance of all the organization’s messaging efforts.
What you will do:
Draft, edit, publish content for:
- Institutional collateral such as one-pagers, success stories, template letters, annual reports, presentation decks, and talking points on active program projects and areas;
- Web copy including general updates, donation campaign and events landing pages, including for our annual gala;
- Blog posts;
- General audience and donor email newsletters;
- Online/mobile donor campaigns content such as #GivingTuesday, End of Year campaign, spring appeal, and other peer-to-peer fundraising efforts;
- Social media content for current projects, events and evergreen posts that promote other channels such as the email newsletter for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc. Reciprocate engagement with new followers where appropriate.
- Create, edit, and publish short videos, gifs, data visualizations, shareable graphics, to engage supporters and donors on social platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) as well as for documents, reports, and presentations.
Administration and Support:
- Build email blasts, maintain templates for accuracy of language and links, and ensure lists are current;
- Support the process of list segmentation for greater reach to donor/general audience;
- Ensure donor platforms such as Classy, GuideStar, and Global Giving carry current messaging, links;
- Generate timely reports of performance of emails newsletters and fundraising campaigns for analysis;
- Monitor and advise best times/dates for posting on social channels;
- SEO implementation for all online messaging;
- Metrics tracking and analysis;
- Monitor and record earned media coverage and research new press leads;
- Help coordinate master communications and social media calendars.
- Work experience: A minimum of 2-3 years related work experience in communications and or donor relations;
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, nonprofit management or similar, or equivalent work experience;
- Systems: Google Work Suite, Microsoft Office applications, solid experience using Adobe Creative Cloud applications especially Photoshop and or InDesign;
- Work habits: Exceptional organizational and communication skills; ability to manage multiple priorities and keep track of details and deadlines; a high level of attention to detail; with necessary direction in place, able to work effectively independently;
- Communication: Exceptional interpersonal communication and writing skills. Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues both in person and those who are remote, as well as external audiences.
- Organizational culture fit: A strong interest, background, and/or work experience in nonprofits, human rights, social justice, international relations, or video advocacy; demonstrated commitment to WITNESS’ values and mission.
- Familiarity with WordPress, MailChimp, Salesforce, Slack, Canva;
- Experience working with remote colleagues in different time zones;
- Additional language proficiency in Spanish, French, and/or Arabic a plus.
How to Apply:
To apply, send your cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and contact information for 3 references to email@example.com with the subject line “Comms Associate [Your name]”.
Please include a cover letter. We are really interested in hearing about what you’ve done, what you can do, and what you want to do at WITNESS.
Additional important information:
START DATE: Immediate
LOCATION: Brooklyn, NY
ADDITIONAL NOTES: Our Brooklyn office is conveniently located near Atlantic Terminal as well as 2,3 B,C,Q NYC subway lines.
SALARY: WITNESS offers a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and ample PTO programs.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply. Authorization to work in the U.S. is required. http://www.witness.org