Digital Security and IT Support Internship – Winter/Spring 2018
WITNESS makes it possible for anyone, anywhere to use video and technology to protect and defend their rights. We provide training, tools, and support to people around the world so that they can use video ethically and effectively to create positive change.
Internships at WITNESS offer a unique, hands-on opportunity to enhance your educational objectives through practical, real-world experience under the guidance and mentoring of experienced professionals in the areas of human rights, video advocacy, communications, media operations, fundraising, IT, human resources, and nonprofit administration. Interns participate in an array of activities depending on the department and projects, which may include research, event planning, outreach, organizational support, translation, and writing.
This internship will be supervised by the Senior Tech Coordinator, and it will include working closely with the IT and Security Teams in support of the broader organization for two or three days a week. The intern will work specifically on security and tech related projects and activities.
This is a great opportunity for a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual to hone their skills and build hands-on experience in deploying tech tools for digital security and privacy, supporting and training staff, as well as writing documentation, how-tos, and blog posts.
Tasks may include:
- Update and organize internal site (WITSEC) with new information about threats, security tools, policies, and how-tos;
- Work with the WITSEC team on analyzing and summarizing the pros and cons of current systems we are working on;
- Research new tools and solutions as needed (e.g., office security tools);
- Computer maintenance and care (e.g., anti-virus, OS, apps updates, etc.);
- Monitor legal and tech product developments related to privacy and digital security (e.g., surveillance, consumer tracking, censorship, online privacy new tech gadgets, etc.);
- Organize all new information and send updates to the team;
- Write blog posts on security issues relevant to our partners;
- Perform other related duties as required.
All interns can expect to spend up to 20% of their time engaged in administrative support.
By the end of the internship, the intern will learn:
- The basics of digital security best practices;
- Use tools for encrypting communications and data;
- Basics of desktop support in a human rights environment.
Candidate must have an interest in technology, digital security, and human rights issues. Preference will be given to those candidates that have prior experience in technology and/or security related field. Writing background also a plus.
The following would be beneficial for entering our program:
- Prior experience in technology and/or security and privacy related fields (while experience is not required, a genuine interest in those areas is expected);
- Work or personal experience in at-risk communities;
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently;
- Affinity for technology and problem solving (being a bit of a geek definitely helps);
- Good written and verbal communication skills;
- Motivated to work and learn.
We require a minimum commitment of 2 months, for 16-24 hours a week. Internships are unpaid. All internships are based in our Brooklyn office, convenient to the Atlantic Terminal / Barclays Center (2,3,4,5,B,D,Q,N, & R trains), LIRR, and the C (Lafayette) and G (Fulton) trains.
No phone inquiries, please. Please submit your application via email to email@example.com including a Resume and Cover Letter with “Digital Security and IT Internship” in the Subject.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply.