Event Assistant – Focus For Change
Are you a creative, fun-loving and detail oriented individual who likes organizing events? Want to be a part of a hard working team that puts together an exciting evening that includes speeches from inspiring activists, moving musical performance and so much more?
WITNESS is seeking a short-term event assistant in its Brooklyn office. Reporting to the External Relations Manager, the Focus for Change Assistant will support all aspects of WITNESS’ fundraising Benefit on November 14, 2018 in New York City. The Focus for Change Benefit is a dinner and concert in celebration of the power of storytelling to create human rights change for over 350 attendees. It is our premiere fundraising event of the year. More details about the event can be found here: witness.org/benefit.
Past co-hosts include Angelina Jolie, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Gael García Bernal, Angélique Kidjo and Christiane Amanpour with featured performers including Paul Simon, Iron and Wine, Cyndi Lauper, Sheryl Crow, Jimmy Cliff, The Roots, Vampire Weekend, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Jackson Browne, and K’naan.
WITNESS makes it possible for anyone, anywhere to participate in the fight for human rights. Through collaboration and innovation, we are powering up millions of people with the skills and tools to use video and technology effectively and ethically to create lasting change.
Logistics and Coordination
- Work with the External Relations team to support all aspects of planning and executing the Focus for Change Benefit;
- Schedule and take notes at meetings and conference calls;
- Help coordinate VIP cocktail party the evening before the Benefit, November 13, 2018;
- Night-of the event: coordinate signage, assist with décor, help with registration and volunteer assignments, help with talent coordination, help coordinate vendor load-ins, timing and flow of the evening, etc;
- Assist with all event follow-up.
- Ensure event is registered on New York City benefit and social calendars;
- Help keep event website up-to-date and support outreach efforts on social media, including drafting messaging.
- Identify and solicit in-kind and corporate donors;
- Prepare letters and other communications to Benefit Committee;
- Prepare acknowledgement letters and gifts.
Graphic Design/ Design Coordination
- Help gather logos, text, and photos for signage and digital and printed materials;
- Help update and make corrections to digital and printed materials;
- Coordinate proofs, ordering and delivery of printed materials.
- Prepare letters to recruit talent to participate in and attend the event;
- Help prepare schedules and arrange car service;
- Coordinate travel and accommodations.
- Conduct attendee research prior to the event;
- Assist with coordinating auction, décor, giveaway, after-party, and other elements.
- Works closely with the External Relations Manager, Associate Director of Communications and Engagement and other members of the External Relations team.
- Interacts with Executive Director and Senior Video Producer and Editor
- Communicates with external consultants, production team, vendors, media, celebrities and major donors
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, experience and characteristics:
Work Experience and Education: You have 1-2 years of professional experience, preferably in nonprofit event planning and Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree plus additional work experience;
Communications: You are an excellent creative writer with strong copy-editing skill. You are comfortable communicating with external audiences and enjoy speaking in public;
Work Habits: You are highly organized with superb attention to detail. You thrive under stress and have the ability to multi-task and even troubleshoot when projects shift unexpectedly. You are reliable, energetic and motivated. You have good judgment and consistently meet deadlines – even when it means working long hours;
Skills: You have graphic design skills (familiarity with Adobe Create Suite is a plus) and have experience working with design firms and printers. You are an expert in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and well versed in using the internet for research;
Human Rights/Advocacy: You are genuinely enthusiastic about WITNESS’ mission and have a basic understanding of human rights and/or video advocacy.
The candidate will preferably have the following skills, experience and characteristics:
- Familiarity with Salesforce or other CRM;
- Familiarity with WordPress.
LOCATION: Brooklyn, New York 11217
TITLE: Event Assistant: Focus For Change Assistant
START DATE: ASAP; the position is anticipated to last through November 2018.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume, non-academic writing sample (1-2 pages) and contact information for 3 references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant. We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls. Thank you for your understanding.
WITNESS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE VALUE AND ENCOURAGE DIVERSITY AND CAREFULLY CONSIDER QUALIFIED APPLICANTS FOR ALL POSITIONS WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, CREED, GENDER, SEX, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, DISABILITY, MARITAL OR VETERAN STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, OR ANY OTHER LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS. witness.org