Event Assistant (Temporary)
Are you a creative, fun-loving and detail oriented individual who likes organizing events? Want to be a part of a hard working, passionate team that puts together an exciting evening that includes interactive displays, inspiring words from activists, moving musical performances and so much more?
WITNESS is seeking a short-term Event Assistant in its Brooklyn office. Reporting to the External Relations Manager, the Event Assistant will support all aspects of WITNESS’ 25th Anniversary Special Event on November 9, 2017 in New York City. This event will celebrate the power of storytelling to create human rights change for about 300 attendees with a focus on engaging the next generation of allies, supporters and activist join us to take part in planning all aspects of the event, including its concept, before watching it come to life in November.
Past event co-hosts include Angelina Jolie, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Gael García Bernal, Angélique Kidjo and Christiane Amanpour with featured performers including David Byrne, Paul Simon, Iron and Wine, Cyndi Lauper, Sheryl Crow, Jimmy Cliff, The Roots, Vampire Weekend, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Jackson Browne, and K’naan.
WITNESS makes it possible for anyone, anywhere to participate in the fight for human rights. Through collaboration and innovation, we are powering up millions of people with the skills and tools to use video and technology effectively and ethically to create lasting change.
Logistics and Coordination
- Work with the External Relations team to support all aspects of planning and executing the 25th Anniversary Celebration;
- Schedule and take notes at meetings and conference calls;
- Night-of the event: coordinate signage, assist with décor, help with registration and volunteer assignments, help with talent coordination, help coordinate vendor load-ins, timing and flow of the evening, etc;
- Assist with all event follow-up.
- Ensure event is registered on New York City benefit and social calendars;
- Help keep event website up-to-date;
- Draft outreach materials for email communications and social media.
- Identify and solicit in-kind and corporate donors;
- Prepare letters and other communications to Benefit Committee;
- Prepare acknowledgement letters and gifts;
- Track RSVPs and payments through online databases.
- Help gather logos, text, and photos for signage and printed materials;
- Coordinate with printer to order and deliver printed materials.
- Prepare letters to recruit talent to participate in and attend the event;
- Help prepare schedules and arrange car service;
- Coordinate travel and accommodations.
- Conduct attendee research prior to the event;
- Assist with coordinating auction, décor, giveaway, after-party, and other elements.
- Works closely with the External Relations Manager, Individual Philanthropy Associate, and Associate Director of Communications and Engagement.
- Interacts with Executive Director and Senior Video Producer and Editor
- Communicates with external consultants, production team, vendors, media, celebrities and major donors
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, experience and characteristics:
Work Experience and Education: You have 1-2 years of professional experience, preferably in nonprofit event planning and Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree plus additional work experience.
Work Habits: You are highly organized with superb attention to detail. You thrive under stress and have the ability to multi-task and even troubleshoot when projects shift unexpectedly. You are reliable, energetic and motivated. You have good judgment and consistently meet deadlines – even when it means working long hours;
Skills: You are an expert in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and well versed in using the internet for research. You are an excellent creative writer with strong copy-editing skill. You are comfortable communicating with external audiences and enjoy speaking in public.
Human Rights/Advocacy: You are genuinely enthusiastic about WITNESS’ mission and have a basic understanding of human rights and/or video advocacy.
The candidate will preferably have the following skills, experience and characteristics:
- Familiarity with Salesforce or other CRM;
- Familiarity with WordPress;
- Graphic design skills and familiarity with Adobe Create Suite is a plus;
- Experience working with graphic designers.
LOCATION: Brooklyn, New York 11217
TITLE: Event Assistant (Temporary)
START DATE: ASAP; the position is anticipated to last until December 2017.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume, non-academic writing sample (1-2 pages) and contact information for 3 references to: email@example.com.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant. We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls. Thank you for your understanding.
WITNESS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE VALUE AND ENCOURAGE DIVERSITY AND CAREFULLY CONSIDER QUALIFIED APPLICANTS FOR ALL POSITIONS WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, CREED, GENDER, SEX, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, DISABILITY, MARITAL OR VETERAN STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, OR ANY OTHER LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS. witness.org