Executive & Program Assistant
WITNESS is seeking a full-time Executive & Program Assistant. The Executive & Program Assistant provides key administrative support to the organization.
The fight for human rights is at a critical time, not only in the US but around the world. Come work with WITNESS to power up people and organizations using visual media to amplify important stories and catalyze campaigns for change. Some of the people we’ve worked with include activists in Syria using video as evidence of possible war crimes, media collectives in Brazil documenting rampant police violence, and outraged Americans who are standing up to incidents of hate. You can be a part of supporting their successes.
The Executive & Program Assistant will have an important role in planning and coordinating our annual team retreat, when all of our global staff will come together. The Assistant will work closely with the Director’s Team to ensure smooth handling of administrative tasks and processes, including scheduling, note taking, credit card reconciliations, and knowledge management. The Assistant will provide key support during Board of Director’s committee calls and meetings. This position will work closely with our Program Team to support our Monitoring & Evaluation systems.
This is the perfect opportunity for someone who has a passion for nonprofit management, human rights and social justice, organizing information, administration, supporting programs, and building relationships in a professional network. This is a great learning experience for those interested in nonprofit leadership, board relationships, international advocacy, and how a successful International NGO is run.
The position is based in Brooklyn, NY.
WITNESS makes it possible for anyone, anywhere to use video and technology to protect and defend their rights. We provide training, tools, and support to people around the world so that they can use video safely, ethically, and effectively to create positive change.
The Executive & Program Assistant provides key administrative support to the Executive and Program functions at WITNESS.
Executive Function Responsibilities (50%) :
- Handle calendar and all scheduling for the Executive Director (other than donor, foundation, and Board members)
- Assist with reconciling credit card expenses and updating Salesforce contacts for Executive Director and Program Director
- Arrange travel and logistics for Executive Director
- Organize and run all Board meeting logistics and communications
- Schedule and attend all Board meetings and Board Committee meetings and calls, taking notes, and creating minutes
- Assist with preparing contracts and invoices for Executive Director’s approval and signature
- Update and maintain Salesforce, Contacts and other applicable data or organizational records related to Executive function
Program & Cross-Organizational Function Responsibilities (50%):
- Help coordinate logistics for the annual team retreat, quarterly share and other team events
- Coordinate weekly Program meeting agenda, compile necessary meeting materials, and record meeting minutes
- Help improve and maintain Program Monitoring & Evaluation systems in coordination with Deputy Program Director
- Collect and compile bi-monthly Program Updates
- Support for remote staff with any in-office needs
- Provide backup for Operations Associate if needed
- Additional support as needed.
- Executive Director, Program Director, Deputy Director of Program
- Board of Directors
- Program staff
- Work Experience: A minimum of 1-2 years related experience or strong internships.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
- Systems: Strong computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and the Google Work Suite
- Work Habits: Exceptional administrative, organizational, and logistical skills; ability to manage multiple priorities and keep track of details; a high level of attention to detail
- Communication: Exceptional interpersonal communication and writing skills. Ability to communicate effectively with senior and executive staff as well as with external stakeholders
- Organizational Culture: A strong interest, background, and/or work experience in nonprofits, human rights, social justice, international relations, or video advocacy; demonstrated commitment to WITNESS’ values and mission
- Experience working as an Administrative or Executive Assistant.
- Experience working with non-profit Board of Directors.
- Experience booking international travel and scheduling in different time zones.
- Event planning or logistics experience.
- Additional language proficiency.
START DATE: Flexible
LOCATION: Brooklyn, NY
TITLE: Executive & Program Assistant
SALARY: WITNESS offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits that include employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life, accident, and disability insurance, FSA, 401k, transit, and a generous vacation package.
TO APPLY: To apply, send your cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Executive & Program Assistant – [Your name]”.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications are encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant. We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls. Thank you.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply. Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.