External Relations Associate
WITNESS is seeking a full-time External Relations Associate to join our team.
The fight for human rights is at a critical moment, not only in the United States but around the world. Come work at WITNESS to power up people and organizations using visual media to amplify important stories and catalyze campaigns for change. As part of the team charged with growing and strengthening relationships with our community, you will help support the efforts of our partners, include activists in the Middle East using video as evidence of war crimes, media collectives in Brazil documenting rampant police violence, and outraged Americans who are standing up to incidents of hate. Bring your passion for human rights, your love for relationship building, and your dedication to systems to this organization of committed changemakers.
Reporting to the External Relations Manager, the External Relations Associate supports all aspects of Individual Philanthropy: the engagement and growth of WITNESS community of allies, donors, and board members in support of its programs and mission.
The Associate works on all vehicles for engagement including supporting our annual Focus for Change Benefit, implementing annual fund campaigns, creating and coordinating events, and maintaining the donor database. The Associate will focus on all aspects of Individual Philanthropy, research, donation processing, and keeping holistically track of all interactions with WITNESS supporters.
The Associate also supports the Executive Director in administrative matters and works closely with the Executive Director on externally facing responsibilities particularly engagement of the WITNESS Board.
This is the perfect opportunity for someone who has a passion for fundraising, events, nonprofit and board management, human rights and social justice, research, organizing information, administration, and building relationships in a professional network. This is a great learning experience for those interested in nonprofit leadership, board relationships, individual giving fundraising, international advocacy, and how a successful International NGO is run.
The position is based in Brooklyn, NY.
WITNESS makes it possible for anyone, anywhere to use video and technology to protect and defend their rights. We provide training, tools, and support to people around the world so that they can use video safely, ethically, and effectively to create positive change.
Individual Philanthropy, Events, and Corporate Support
- Support the implementation of the overall Individual Philanthropy strategy including tactics, engagement vehicles, events and communication;
- Support the engagement of major donors to ensure a close connection to WITNESS’ mission and programs; help organize ways to engage donors in program-related activities that catalyze donor’s partnership and grow revenue;
- Help create and coordinate all fundraising and cultivation events (including dinners, briefings, and panels) to raise WITNESS’ visibility and inspire, inform and grow its donor network;
- Initiate, coordinate, and monitor all aspects of donor management, including reports, updates, communications, emails, acknowledgements, engagement steps;
- Support all aspects of the annual Focus for Change Benefit including outreach, talent, fundraising and messaging;
- Support the management of “Executive Producers” and “Changemaker Network” or other supporter circles by managing lists and schedule of pledges and communications;
- Initiate and coordinate annual fund and peer-to-peer fundraising campaigns, including End of Year, the Marathon and Bike Tour;
- Execute individual donation processing, including database entry, follow up, timely acknowledgement, track pledges, and communicate information to Finance;
- Manage and expand existing network of monthly donors;
- Handle and oversee major donor, new board, and corporate research;
- Keep up to date with trends and spaces relevant for WITNESS from a philanthropy and media perspective;
- Support the cultivation of corporate partnership and sponsorship outreach and strategies.
Institutional Content and Messaging
- Draft email and online updates as well as correspondence for Executive Director and External Relations Manager for cultivation of major donors;
- Track and schedule all donor and ally communications and distribution of External Relations materials.
- Coordinate all aspects of pro bono support tracking, coding, and acknowledgments;
- Create, analyze, and maintain donor lists;
- Support the External Relations internship program;
- Support Finance with the management payment portals as related to revenue;
- Provide departmental and administrative support to External Relations team.
Executive Director Support
- Handle all scheduling for the Executive Director, including meetings with Board members and donors;
- Assist with reconciling expenses and coordinating travel and logistics for the Executive Director;
- Help organize, prepare, and manage all Board and Committee meetings;
- Take notes at Board and Committee meetings;
- Assist in updating organizational record and databases.
- External Relations Manager, Executive Director, Communications team, Program team
- Annual Fund Donors
- Board of Directors
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, experience and characteristics:
- You are at the beginning of your career in non-profit development, public relations, fundraising, or event management with some past professional, internship, or volunteer experience.
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree and 2-3 years of experience.
- People and Project Management: You are a highly organized and effective project manager that loves spreadsheets, lists, and coordinating to get things just right.
- Communications: You are an excellent creative writer with strong copy-editing skill. You are comfortable communicating with external audiences and have strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Systems: You have a mastery of spreadsheet management.
- Work Habits: You are highly organized with superb attention to detail. You thrive in a face-paced, high-performance culture and have the ability to multi-task and even troubleshoot when projects shift unexpectedly. You are reliable, energetic and motivated. You have good judgment and consistently meet deadlines. You enjoy improving systems and optimizing workflows.
- Skills: You are an expert in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and have experience working with Salesforce or another CRM. You have excellent project management and organizational skills with an eagle eye to detail. You have the ability to work autonomously and self-motivated;
- Human Rights/Advocacy: You are genuinely enthusiastic about WITNESS’ mission and have a basic understanding of human rights and/or video advocacy.
- You have some experience with event planning and management;
- You have strong analytical and budgeting skills;
- You have familiarity with managing websites and html, especially WordPress;
- You’re an effective team leadership with the ability to execute on strategy, and guide, prioritize and motivate a team;
- You are talented with visual media skills, such as graphic design or video editing.
START DATE: Flexible
LOCATION: Brooklyn, NY
TITLE: External Relations Associate
SALARY: WITNESS offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits that include employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life, accident, and disability insurance, FSA, 401k, transit, and a generous vacation package.
TO APPLY: To apply, send your cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “External Relations Associate – [Your name]”.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications are encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant. We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls. Thank you.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply. Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.