ABOUT THE ‘WHY’
Each year WITNESS reaches 1 million people with videos, guides, tip sheets and strategies that help human rights defenders and activists unleash the power of video to protect and defend human rights. Our Library is home to over 180 training resources in more than 20 languages, and we’ve seen how crucial this guidance can be to help activists preserve visual evidence, keep themselves safe, and use video for justice. But as more people around the world turn to their cell phones to film abuse and demand change, WITNESS faces a monumental challenge: how to support them, even from afar, to use video technology safely and effectively.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Accounting Associate role is a member of WITNESS’ HQ in Brooklyn, NY. As a member of the Finance Team, Accounting Associate performs a wide range of integral fiscal and departmental duties under the direction of the Senior Accountant.
The Accounting Associate will also have the opportunity to learn all aspects of program financial management of an international organization. This includes, but is not restricted to, tracking expenses on a program level; reporting to funders and ensuring compliance with regulations; direct and indirect cost allocation.
The Accounting Associate is responsible for facilitating proper post-award accounting and reporting of all grant and/or contract funds, in order to remain in full compliance and within budget of the funders’ stipulations. Accounting Associate is charged with analyzing, interpreting and reconciling G/L financial data on a program basis, to assist with the overall financial management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reconcile accounts, sub ledgers, and databases to the General Ledger
- Review and update deposits, online transactions, and credit card transactions as well as other revenues and donations
- Process Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable transactions, including the generation and tracking of invoices
- Process payments, including check payments, ACH, and wire transfer payments
- Review and reconcile direct and indirect program expense reports (Advance Reconciliations, Credit Card Reconciliations, Reimbursement Requests) to ensure accurate expense coding and allocation per program budget; migrate data from Concur system to accounting system, Blackbaud’s Financial Edge
- Review and prepare journal entries for all grant related activities; track receipts and create grant release entries
- Communicate with development manager and foundation coordinator to ensure all grant compliance and reporting activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner, with corresponding submissions for grant reimbursements performed on a timely basis
- Retrieve monthly bills and statements online, and process as needed
- Assist staff with Concur expense reports, advance and reimbursement request and reconciliations
- Work with Senior Accountant to complete all monthly, quarterly, annual and grant reports, review coding accuracy for assigned accounts, identify and reconcile account discrepancies
- Create departmental, program and project reports for budget tracking purposes
- Assist Associate Director of Operation and Finance and Senior Accountant in preparation of quarterly updates to Board of directors
- Prepare accounting schedules for annual organization and other funder specific audits; work directly with auditors to respond to testing and other requirements
- Track and enter investment activity; calculate annual investment income
- Create amortization schedules for capital assets; allocate payments between interest and principal portions
- Organize and maintain financial records
- Examine financial statements to ensure that they are accurate and comply with laws and regulations, in conjunction with the Senior Accountant
- Respond directly to staff on all finance related matters; responsible for proposal of new/streamlined processes to enhance the workflow of the organization
- Conduct new and ongoing trainings for finance onboarding for new staff and support local and regionally based staff on updates in financial policies
- Role as Back up for Payroll and 401K in absence of HR Manager
- Provide support for completion of annual Form 990
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, or a related field
- Knowledge of GAAP
- High level of proficiency with the entire MS Office suite, especially Excel.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, flexibility, and ability to work collaboratively
- Strong interest, background, and/or work experience in human rights advocacy or media/technology for social change; demonstrated commitment to social justice and WITNESS’ values and mission
- Experience in accounting, financial management, or business, preferably at a non-profit organization
- Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge and/or Concur, experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT environment is a plus.
- Experience with online donation platform Salesforce, WePay, Authorize.Net, Chase Paymentech, GlobalGiving, AmazonSmile & Facebook donation platform
- Experience with series API system platform for Concur data integrated
Not for Profit/Human Rights: Background in or passion for human rights and social justice – a plus.
How to Apply:
To apply, send your cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Accounting Associate – [Your name]”.
Please include a cover letter. We are really interested in hearing about what you’ve done, what you can do, and what you want to do at WITNESS.
Additional important information:
START DATE: Immediate
LOCATION: Brooklyn, NY
ADDITIONAL NOTES: Our Brooklyn office is conveniently located near Atlantic Terminal as well as 2,3 B,C,Q NYC subway lines.
SALARY: WITNESS offers a competitive salary.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply. Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.