Grant Writer – Foundations Coordinator (Full-time)
WITNESS is seeking a full-time Foundations Coordinator. The Foundations Coordinator will be the lead grant writer for the organization, research and solicit new foundations prospects, coordinate the proposal process, and support the organization’s grant reporting responsibilities.
The fight for human rights is at a critical time, not only in the U.S. but around the world. Come work with WITNESS to power up grassroots communities using visual media to amplify important stories and catalyze campaigns for change. Some of the people we’ve worked with include activists in Syria using video as evidence of possible war crimes, media collectives in Brazil documenting rampant police violence, and marginalized groups in the U.S. who are standing up to increasing incidents of hate. You can be a part of supporting their successes.
The position is based in Brooklyn, NY and will report directly to the Associate Director of Foundations.
WITNESS makes it possible for anyone, anywhere to use video and technology to protect and defend their rights. We provide training, tools, and support to people around the world so that they can use video safely, ethically, and effectively to create positive change.
- Serve as primary writer for Foundations proposals, reports, and awards with monetary value, coordinating input from Program, Finance, and Communications teams, with oversight from Associate Director – Foundations and support from external consultants as relevant.
- Create new documents and template language that reflect different framing of WITNESS’ work, including documents summarizing work in particular regions or on key issues, and ensure consistency of all external written materials within Foundations and across the organization.
- Copyedit and finalize all foundations-related written documents, and provide copyediting assistance to Major Gifts and Communications team as needed, including around mass email communications.
- Support Associate Director – Foundations with donor and prospect communications, ensuring that programmatic successes and developments are shared in a timely and customized way, including writing/adapting content, drafting emails for others to send, and distribution.
- Liaise regularly with program team, including regional coordinators, around recent and upcoming trainings, priority issues, and stories that can be shared externally, and track engagement with funders and prospects to ensure regular communications.
- Manage and update external platforms related to or maintained by foundations and, as appropriate, reach out to funders around featuring programmatic work or highlights on their websites, newsletters, or public platforms.
Research Prospects (10%):
- Conduct all foundation/governmental prospect research using online searches and philanthropic media resources, and recommend fits based on analysis of overlaps and key interests. Identify and analyze relevant opportunities and calls for proposals, and together with Associate Director – Foundations provide recommendations about which opportunities to pursue.
- With the guidance of Associate Director – Foundations, customize and submit letters of interests and other inquiries to prospects and follow up to schedule meetings or calls.
- Follow trends related to institutional giving through the philanthropic press and social media and circulate relevant information to team.
- Schedule and organize meetings with foundation donors (including funder-related events and presentations), write prep memos, coordinate internal prep meetings, and take notes when appropriate.
- Coordinate grants, including tracking deadlines and dates for key meetings or submissions, maintaining data pertinent to foundation contacts, and responding to ad hoc requests from donors.
- Finalize all Foundation submissions, including compiling supporting documentation, adding links, and submitting to foundation representatives or via online portals.
- Maintain departmental files, including grant agreements or contracts, acknowledgement letters, and shared drive folders; Support department data maintenance, including donation processing, and data entry.
- Liaise with Finance on revenue processing, budget and expense report development, cash flow updates, foundation grant reconciliation, and the annual audit.
- Associate Director – Foundation
- External Relations Team – Executive Director, Major Gifts, Communications
- Program Team
- Finance Team
- External staff at foundations and other stakeholders
- Work Experience: A minimum of 3-5 years related experience.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
- Skills: Superior writing and editing skills, ability to write compellingly about WITNESS’ programs and broader sociopolitical context; proficiency in internet research and Microsoft Office applications; Fluency in database and spreadsheet use.
- Communications: Excellent overall written and oral communication skills, ability to interface effectively with colleagues, donors, and board members.
- Confidentiality: Unfailing commitment to upholding confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Work Habits: Highly organized with excellent attention to detail; ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high-performance culture; good judgment, reliability and discretion; high degree of professionalism.
- Human Rights/Media/Advocacy: Genuine enthusiasm for WITNESS’ mission; basic understanding of human rights, video advocacy, visual media and/or international affairs.
- Experience with grant writing and tailoring messaging for different audiences.
- Experience with external communications with funders.
- Awareness and understanding of current funding trends in the nonprofit field.
START DATE: flexible; ideally end of June or beginning of July
LOCATION: Brooklyn, NY
TITLE: Foundations Coordinator
SALARY: WITNESS offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits that include employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life, accident, and disability insurance, FSA, 401k, transit, and a generous vacation package.
TO APPLY: To apply, send your cover letter with salary requirements, resume, writing sample, and contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Foundations Coordinator – [your name]”.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications are encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant. We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls. WITNESS is not currently seeking assistance from staffing agencies at this time. Thank you.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply. Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.