HR/Finance Assistant (temporary)
ABOUT THE ‘WHY’
Each year WITNESS reaches 1 million people with videos, guides, tip sheets and strategies that help human rights defenders and activists unleash the power of video to protect and defend human rights. Our Library is home to over 180 training resources in more than 20 languages, and we’ve seen how crucial this guidance can be to help activists preserve visual evidence, keep themselves safe, and use video for justice. But as more people around the world turn to their cell phones to film abuse and demand change, WITNESS faces a monumental challenge: how to support them, even from afar, to use video technology safely and effectively.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The HR/Finance Assistant provides administrative support to the team and assists all aspects of HR and Finance. This role is imperative to the success of employee engagement and finance processes. The HR/Finance Assistant will support both the Human Resources and Finance departments. The position will focus on supporting the overall administrative needs of HR and Finance and to provide exceptional support to our projects and staff. This is a temporary role, with the potential to become full time.
What you will do:
- Assist with filing of electronic and paper documents
- Assist with entering invoices into the Accounts Payable module
- Assist with creating documents such as Invoices and confirmation letters
- Assist with transferring monthly Concur reports into Accounting Software via APEX (API)
- Assist with generating quarterly project detail reports per Sr. Accountant’s instruction
- Assist with checking the accuracy of financial information on reports
- Provides support for completion of annual Form 990
- Assist with updating department documents such as concur tipsheet and finance policy per Sr. Accountant’s instruction
- Assist with preparing documents for annual audit
- Other duties as assigned
- Answer first tier employee questions about HR policies, benefits, processes, and escalating higher level issues as appropriate. Emails to staff about office closures, upcoming deadlines, and action items.
- Work on special projects.
Onboarding & Offboarding
- Coordinate with new hires and hiring managers to ensure completion of all onboarding paperwork and create an efficient, engaging, and welcoming process, including HR/Benefits orientation.
- Coordinate with exiting employees and their managers to ensure NEO’s data is accurate and complete, and the employee has all the information they need for a successful transition out of the organization.
Human Resources Information Systems
- Support Human Resources processes; i.e. Payroll administration, tracking professional development, employment verifications, I9 compliance, 401k auditing, PTO system.
- Troubleshoot HRIS technical issues for employees.
- Support Open Enrollment and benefits projects, coordinate employee education program, including brainstorming, scheduling, and organizing materials.
- Create and update resources around policies and benefits, so employees can increase their understanding and usage of our robust benefits offerings.
- Education/Experience: You have a Bachelor’s degree. You have 1-2 years of professional working experience in Human Resources, Finance/Accounting, and Administration.
- Skills: You are comfortable with numbers, technology and workflow systems and have strong data-entry and data auditing skills, with exceptional attention to detail
- Work Habits: Self-starter attitude with the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities. Willingness to jump in and be a team player.
- Communications: You have excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
Not for Profit/Human Rights: Background in or passion for human rights and social justice – a plus!
How to Apply:
To apply, send your cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “HR/Finance Assistant [Your name]”.
Please include a cover letter. We are really interested in hearing about what you’ve done, what you can do, and what you want to do at WITNESS.
Additional important information:
START DATE: Immediate
LOCATION: Brooklyn, NY
ADDITIONAL NOTES: Our Brooklyn office is conveniently located near Atlantic Terminal as well as 2,3 B,C,Q NYC subway lines.
SALARY: WITNESS offers a competitive salary.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply. Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.