Individual Giving Associate (Full-Time)
Are you an organized, fun-loving and detail oriented individual who wants to use their talents for good? Want to be a part of a close hard working team on projects ranging from a large scale nonprofit benefit in New York City to online peer-to-peer based campaigns? Join a team of dedicated individuals and help raise funds to support activists all over the world using video for human rights. WITNESS envisions a world where the millions of people turning to video for human rights can do so effectively and safely. WITNESS helps human rights activists and citizen witnesses around the world use video to achieve social change. For over 20 years, video has changed the course of history, and WITNESS has been there.
WITNESS is seeking an Individual Giving Associate to work in our Brooklyn office. Reporting to the External Relations Manager, the Associate will support the engagement of existing and future donors through all aspects of executing the annual Focus for Change Benefit, the implementation of annual fund campaigns, coordination of events, maintenance of the donor database and the support of other various engagement vehicles, both online and offline.
The Associate will support all aspects of Individual Philanthropy, including cultivation events, research, donation processing, and crafting and tracking communications with giving circle members.
Individual Philanthropy, Events, and Corporate Support
• Support the implementation of the overall Individual Philanthropy strategy including tactics, engagement vehicles, events and communication;
• Support the engagement of major donors to ensure a close connection to WITNESS’ mission and programs; help organize ways to engage donors in program-related activities that grow revenue;
- Help coordinate all fundraising and cultivation events (dinners, briefings, panels) to raise WITNESS’ visibility and inspire, inform and grow its donor network;
• Support all aspects of the annual Focus for Change Benefit including production, talent, fundraising and messaging;
- Support the management of “Executive Producers” and “Changemaker Network” by managing lists and schedule of pledges and communications;
- Coordinate annual fund and peer-to-peer fundraising campaigns, including End of Year, the Marathon and Bike Tour;
• Execute individual donation processing, including database entry, follow up, and timely acknowledgement; track pledges, process donations, and communicate information to Finance;
• Manage and expand existing network of monthly donors;
• Handle and oversee major donor and corporate research;
• Support the cultivation of corporate partnership and sponsorship outreach and strategies.
Institutional Content and Messaging
• Assist in the creation of compelling messaging based on WITNESS’ work and stories to inform, engage and inspire donors with a focus on cultivation emails; draft correspondence for ED and ERM for cultivation of major donors, especially the “Executive Producers” and “Changemaker Network”;
• Support the website content and distribution of External Relations materials.
• Coordinate all aspects of pro bono support tracking, coding and acknowledgments;
• Create, analyze and maintain donor lists;
• Support the External Relations internship program;
• Support Finance with the management payment portals as related to revenue;
• Provide departmental and administrative support to External Relations team.
• External Relations Manager, Executive Director, External Relations team, Communications team, Program team
• Annual Fund Donors
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, experience and characteristics:
- You are at the beginning of your career in non-profit development, public relations, fundraising, or event management with some past professional, internship, or volunteer experience.
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree.
- People and Project Management: You are a highly organized and effective project manager that loves spreadsheets, lists, and coordinating to get things just right. You are an effective team leader, able to execute on strategy, and guide, prioritize and motivate a team.
- Communications: You are an excellent creative writer with strong copy-editing skill. You are comfortable communicating with external audiences and have strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Systems: You have a mastery of spreadsheet management.
- Work Habits: You are highly organized with superb attention to detail. You thrive in a face-paced, high-performance culture and have the ability to multi-task and even troubleshoot when projects shift unexpectedly. You are reliable, energetic and motivated. You have good judgment and consistently meet deadlines.
- Skills: You are an expert in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and have experience working with Salesforce or another CRM. You have excellent project management and organizational skills with an eagle eye to detail. You have the ability to work autonomously and self-motivated; experience with event planning and management; strong analytical and budgeting skills and familiarity with managing websites and html.
- Human Rights/Advocacy: You are genuinely enthusiastic about WITNESS’ mission and have a basic understanding of human rights and/or video advocacy.
The candidate will preferably have the following skills, experience and characteristics:
- Experience working with a CRM, such as Salesforce;
- Mastery of donor databases;
- Familiarity with WordPress;
Graphic design skills and familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite.
LOCATION: Brooklyn, New York 11217
START DATE: ASAP
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume, non-academic writing sample (1-2 pages) and contact information for 3 references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant. We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls. Thank you for your understanding.
WITNESS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE VALUE AND ENCOURAGE DIVERSITY AND CAREFULLY CONSIDER QUALIFIED APPLICANTS FOR ALL POSITIONS WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, CREED, GENDER, SEX, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, DISABILITY, MARITAL OR VETERAN STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, OR ANY OTHER LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS.