Operations Associate (temp to perm, with benefits)
The Operations Associate is responsible for the smooth day-to-day administrative operations of the office, provides key administrative support to human resources, finance, and administration, and coordinates the WITNESS internship program.
This temporary position will run until at least June 30, 2017 with the possibility for extension or permanent hire. This position will include medical, dental, and vision benefits.
WITNESS makes it possible for anyone, anywhere to use video and technology to protect and defend their rights. We provide training, tools, and support to people around the world so that they can use video safely, ethically, and effectively to create positive change.
Office and Administrative Support – 30%
- Oversee and maintain vendor contracts and relationships pertinent to office administration, including office equipment leases and service contracts, delivery services, and office supplies;
- Coordinate maintenance (performed by vendors) and support of office equipment, including, telephones, copiers, fax, water, and postage meter;
- Oversee office files and document organization (electronic and physical), monitor compliance with document retention policy; scanning, tracking and filing as needed;
- Monitor and track administrative expenses;
- Monitor and restock office supplies, maintaining order of storage spaces;
- Liaise with building management to address building-related concerns, including security, heating/AC, cleaning, maintenance, etc.;
- Coordinate office spaces, moves, set-ups, and any required construction;
- Supervise Office Cleaner;
- Scan, file, and distribute executed legal documents;
- Train new and existing staff as needed in information systems, including Salesforce, Google Docs, S drive, and others as relevant;
- Initial contact for some IT issues and resolve low level issues;
- Update and keep current Operations Manual and other relevant administrative documentation;
- Maintain staff listings and contact information;
- Coordinate and notify staff of building and office closings, and other important notices;
- Provide executive admin support when needed;
- Other tasks and projects as they arise.
Finance – 20%
- Prepare invoices for payment; review and process check requests for administrative-related expenditures; work with vendors and the finance team to handle discrepancies in bills; maintain log of payments;
- Receive and log checks;
- Coordinate independent contractor engagement process;
- Provide support and answer staff questions about credit card reconciliations if needed.
- Reconcile and manage petty cash.
Intern Program – 20%
- Coordinate internship program;
- Maintain WITNESS’ Intern Handbooks;
- Identify and serve as liaison with intern programs and universities;
- Recruiting: Prepare and post intern and volunteer job descriptions to WITNESS website and other sources; route resumes received to appropriate staff; and maintain tracking of applicants through online systems and the WITNESS internship email inbox;
- Onboarding: Serve as primary point person for the overall intern experience; oversee logistics, orientation, brown bags, feedback and evaluation process, and recognition events for interns, and maintain intern files.
Human Resources – 15%
- HR Information System: maintain leave tracking, balances, and requests, enter and update employee info, and perform troubleshooting for employees;
- Benefits: Facilitate quarterly TransitChek orders;
- Recruitment: Post job announcements to company and external websites and manage lists and accounts of recruitment sources;
- Legal Compliance: Update annual labor law posters;
- Coordinate onboarding and offboarding process, including onboarding new staff in administrative, operations, and information systems and procedures;
- Facilitate payment of HR invoices and coordinate payment documentation;
- Provide support on ad hoc projects.
Office Meetings and Events – 10%
- Coordinate agendas and facilitators for weekly staff meetings. Take notes for all staff meetings and program meetings when needed;
- Organize food and supplies for staff meetings, celebrations, board meetings, and other on- or off-site organizational needs;
- Coordinate staff recognition materials and events;
- Assist in organizing board meetings, including helping with preparation of materials and meeting logistics;
- Oversee budget for office needs and staff events;
- Provide additional support for large events, such as the annual benefit gala and team retreat.
Reception and Travel Coordination – 5%
- Greet visitors and callers, respond to general information inquiries, route calls, and direct individuals to appropriate parties;
- Sort and distribute incoming mail, faxes, and deliveries to appropriate departments;
- Arrange for car service and other transportation for visitors and staff;
- Assist with travel arrangements and visas as needed.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree or an Associate’s Degree with additional relevant experience.
- Work experience: 2- 3 years of combined administrative and office management experience.
- Organization: Superior attention to detail, data management skills, multi-tasking ability, and organizational skills.
- Communications: Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Systems: Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office–Word, Excel, Powerpoint; Google Mail, Google Drive; web-based searches); experience establishing and maintaining efficient, effective, consistent systems. Ability to problem-solve and proactively contribute to cross-organizational information systems.
- Work habits: Ability to respond to and resolve problems without explicit direction. Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality, work under pressure, coordinate many details, and cope with frequent interruption; patience, flexibility, and strong interpersonal skills are a must.
- Demonstrated commitment to the organization’s values and human rights and social justice issues
- Other language skills desirable – Spanish a plus
- Account receivables and account payable experience
- Supervises the part-time Office Cleaner
- All staff
- External vendors and other consultants
- Building management
START DATE: As soon as possible
LOCATION: Brooklyn, NY
TITLE: Operations Associate
SALARY: WITNESS offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits that include employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life, accident, and disability insurance, transit, and a generous vacation package.
TO APPLY: To apply, send your cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Operations Associate”.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications are encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant. We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls. Thank you.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply. Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.