Program Coordinator – Global Engagement and Social Media
ABOUT THE ‘WHY’
Each year WITNESS reaches 1 million people with videos, guides, tip sheets and strategies that help human rights defenders and activists unleash the power of video to protect and defend human rights. Our Library is home to over 180 training resources in more than 20 languages, and we’ve seen how crucial this guidance can be to help activists preserve visual evidence, keep themselves safe, and use video for justice. But as more people around the world turn to their cell phones to film abuse and demand change, WITNESS faces a monumental challenge: how to support them, even from afar, to use video technology safely and effectively.
The Global Engagement Program Coordinator will be responsible for implementing WITNESS’ outreach and engagement strategy globally to ensure more activists are able to access WITNESS guidance in the moments they need it most. They will support and advise the Program Management Leadership including the global regional Program Managers on how to continue to expand WITNESS’ reach and impact through in-depth data analysis and monitoring, creative global engagement solutions, strategic online campaign development, innovative testing on regional distribution, and mobile-ready responsive digital design for training materials.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Global Engagement Program Coordinator will be in charge of implementing and informing the global programmatic outreach and engagement strategy, as set by Program Management Leadership including the global regional Program Managers. They will co-supervise a global team of communications consultants (currently based in 4 countries) to help grow and maximize the impact of videos for justice. They will support and advise regional teams on creating, adapting and sharing resources and tools with activist audiences during strategic opportunities. They will also capture learnings on effective strategies and tactics and share them with the rest of the programmatic team and broader audiences as relevant. To keep the engines running smoothly, they will also create and maintain effective systems to manage our library and version control of training resources and tips.
Distribution of WITNESS training materials – 40%
- Support and advise team of regionally-based programmatic engagement consultants, helping coordinate strategic distribution of training materials and plan rapid responses when needed;
- Develop and implement global distribution campaigns to share WITNESS resources, including occasional participation in Editorial Communications around opportunities for collaboration;
- Support reviewing + publishing of programmatic blog content;
- Support English programmatic social media outputs in collaboration with the US program team;
- Coordinate translation process of training materials and maintain volunteer database;
- Develop and test digital strategies around adaptation/localization of WITNESS training materials. Share learnings back with broader team.
(Snazzy) Content Creation – 30%
- Develop engaging graphics, responsive multimedia, short-form videos, and other digital outputs to expand access to WITNESS’ training resources (with Video Producer and regional teams);
- Create, test, and implement responsive design of WITNESS digital assets;
- Support development/updating of training materials for thematic and regional programs as needed and under advisement by Program Management Leadership.
Strategy Implementation and Analysis – 15%
- Coordinate collection of global engagement metrics and facilitate global reporting;
- Conduct timely and periodic analyses of metrics, spot trends;
- Co-create and monitor regional communications strategies in collaboration with Program Management Leadership.
- Implement and monitor SEO and other strategies as opportunities arise;
- Advise on technologies and platforms used to develop and distribute WITNESS training materials;
Web Management – 10%
- Oversee WITNESS training material databases;
- Administer, maintain and support WITNESS Programmatic Intranet, library and language microsites.
Training and Presentations – 5%
- Represent WITNESS publicly and support trainings on occasion;
- Assist with other organizational projects as needed.
Experience/Education: You can tell us about your 3-5 years of related work experience (or about your Bachelor’s/Associate’s Degree), but we’re really interested in is what you’ve done, what you can do and what you want to do at WITNESS. So make sure you paint us that picture in your cover letter (creativity appreciated, formalities discouraged).
Skills: We’re looking for people that:
- have implemented high quality and impactful social media strategies in related fields, including producing/sharing content in response to news cycles, building audiences online and engaging activists/movements in dialogue and meaningful exchange online;
- speak and write Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WordPress and Giphy natively. (English is also needed and additional languages are a plus);
- have familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite including basic graphics and image editing skills;
- have web publishing skills with a knowledge of basic HTML and CSS, as well as functional understanding of UX and front-end design, database programs and Google apps;
- have been exposed or worked across different cultures internationally;
- know how to analyze data, spot trends, and connect the dots between patterns and correlations.
Work Habits/Style: Demonstrates flexibility and an ability to work collaboratively as a part of a team; has strong administrative, organizational, and multitasking skills. Communicates well, has a sense of humor and is not afraid to experiment (and sometimes fail). Creativity is a must.
Human Rights: Background in or passion for human rights and social justice. Understands the power of video to protect human rights and shares WITNESS’ values and mission.
Flexibility: This job requires working with people in different time zones and may require early morning or late evening calls — this time compensated throughout the week per agreement with supervisor.
How to Apply:
To apply, send your cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and contact information for 3 references to email@example.com with the subject line “Program Coordinator – [Your name]”.
We are really interested in hearing about what you’ve done, what you can do, and what you want to do at WITNESS. So make sure you paint us that picture in your cover letter (creativity appreciated, formalities discouraged). Be sure to include your work portfolio – links; SM catalog, etc.
Additional important information:
START DATE: Flexible
LOCATION: Brooklyn, NY
ADDITIONAL NOTES: Our Brooklyn office is conveniently located near Atlantic Terminal as well as B,C,Q NYC subway lines.
SALARY: WITNESS offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits that include employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life, accident, and disability insurance, FSA, 401k, transit, and a generous PTO package.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply. Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.