Reporting on Immigration: Journalists and Activists in Conversation
Join us for “Reporting on Immigration: Journalists and Activists in Conversation” at The New School on Monday, October 15th from 6:30-8:30 PM. The event is free and open to the public but we do require an RSVP here.
Since the election of Donald Trump, both immigration enforcement and media coverage of immigration-related issues in the U.S. has risen dramatically. WITNESS is bringing together journalists and grassroots advocates to discuss the impact this coverage has had on immigrant communities and explore ways journalists can amplify the stories of immigrants more safely, ethically and effectively.
This conversation is part of the WITNESS Media Lab’s Eyes on ICE project, an initiative dedicated to supporting directly impacted communities and allies to document abuses against immigrant communities and use video and technology to fight deportations and advocate for immigrant rights.
- Garry Pierre-Pierre – Founder of The Haitian Times, Founder of CUNY Journalism’s Center for Community and Ethnic Media
- Rong Xiaoqing – Reporter at Sing Tao Daily
- Palika Makam – U.S. Program Coordinator at WITNESS
- Ginger Thompson – Senior Reporter at ProPublica
- Bruna Bouhid – Senior Communications Manager at United We Dream
- Black Alliance for Just Immigration (BAJI) – Network member w/ translator Albert Saint Jean, a BAJI NYC Organizer
Full bios for the participants, location details and the full program can be found on the RSVP page.