Research and Events Internship Fall 2017
WITNESS makes it possible for anyone, anywhere to use video and technology to protect and defend human rights. We empower people to transform personal stories of abuse into powerful tools for justice, promoting public engagement and policy change. Founded 25 years ago by musician and activist Peter Gabriel, WITNESS partners with NGOs, community groups, and grassroots organizations around the globe (witness.org).
Internships at WITNESS offer a unique, hands-on opportunity to enhance your educational objectives through practical, real-world experience under the guidance and mentoring of experienced professionals in the areas of human rights, video advocacy, communications, media operations, fundraising, IT, human resources, and nonprofit administration. Interns participate in an array of activities depending on the department and projects, which may include research, event planning, outreach, organizational support, translation, and writing.
The External Relations Department works closely with grassroots organizations and innovative programs to help expose the truth and champion human rights by engaging and cultivating our philanthropic community. We secure financial support for WITNESS through a major gifts program, foundations, corporation, an annual fund campaign, and a program of special events including: programmatic panels, dinners, house parties and larger fundraising benefits.
This is a unique opportunity for a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and intelligent individual to hone their research, communication, and event planning skills while building hands-on development/fundraising experience. Working closely with the Individual Philanthropy Associate and the External Relations Manager, the Research and Events Intern will help us expand and deepen our relationships with our community, strengthening our ability to create meaningful change all over the world.
Tasks will include:
- Brainstorming and identifying new and engaging ways to interact with donors;
- Researching and generating a solid list of major giving prospects;
- Drafting and editing content for external communications including (but not limited to) newsletters, email appeals, donor updates, social media etc;
- Entering information into our online database;
- Contributing to and supporting the creative concept behind event elements (such as invitations, signage, interactive elements, etc.);
- Running errands and providing key administrative support as needed.
The Research and Events Intern will play a key role in helping to build and cultivate WITNESS’ network and pipeline of supporters. This position will require the ability to think creatively and strategically about WITNESS’ appeal to donors and known philanthropists, through external communications and donor events.
All interns are expected to spend between 20-30% of their time engaged in administrative support.
By the end of the internship, the intern will learn how to:
- Solicit and communicate with supporters in a compelling manor;
- Conduct research on individuals, corporations and organizations;
- How to strategize and coordinate key elements of a successful donor cultivation event;
- Effectively use internal database (Salesforce.com) and external online platforms.
Currently we are seeking interns enrolled in a 4 year undergraduate or graduate program related to Nonprofit Development and Management, English, Communications, Human Rights, International Relations, Political Science, History, or interdisciplinary studies. We also review applicants of recent graduates who may be seeking the same type of mentorship and educational focus related to their career choice or educational background.
The following would be beneficial for entering our program:
- Excellent research skills;
- A professional air when it comes to interacting with high level donors;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently, in a fast paced environment, and to multitask effectively;
- Capacity to brainstorm creatively;
- Previous development/fundraising/event planning experience preferred;
- Knowledge of MS Office applications a must; experience with Google Apps, web-based database systems and web design a plus.
We require a minimum commitment of 2 months, for at least 16 hours a week. Internships are unpaid. All internships are based in our Brooklyn office, convenient to the Atlantic Terminal / Barclay Center (2,3,4,5,B,D,Q,N, & R trains), LIRR, and the C (Lafayette) and G (Fulton) trains.
No phone inquiries, please. We strongly prefer applications by email to email@example.com including a Resume and Cover Letter with “Research and Events” in the Subject.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply.