Run for Human Rights: Join Team WITNESS in the 2016 TCS New York City Marathon!
As any true New Yorker knows, Marathon Day is one of the most exciting days of the year. Even the toughest, most unsentimental New Yorkers can’t help but be swept up in the marathon spirit, as 50,000 courageous runners blaze through the streets to the thunderous roar of an adoring city.
Don’t believe us? Check out this highlight reel from last year’s event. We challenge you not to get a little misty eyed.
WITNESS is proud to be an official charity partner in the 2016 TCS New York City Marathon for the seventh consecutive year. On Sunday, November 6, five dedicated runners will represent Team WITNESS and run for human rights change– and you can be one of them!
WITNESS welcomes runners of all levels and backgrounds, from dedicated multi-marathon champions to first time runners. Cumulatively, our past teams have raised close to $100,000 in support of human rights defenders everywhere. They have empowered thousands of activists and average citizens to fight for change on some of the most pervasive human rights issues of our time – from war crimes in Syria to police brutality in the United States to sexual and gender-based violence around the world. And they did this while running the race of their lives…sometimes multiple years in a row!
We hope you will follow in their footsteps and join Team WITNESS in the 2016 TCS New York City Marathon.
As images of refugees, police violence, and attacks on civilians flood our social media feeds and shape our reaction to current events, it is impossible to deny the power of visual imagery for human rights. That’s why WITNESS supports people using video for human rights all over the world. With millions of people empowered to film injustice by the cell phones in their pockets, we make sure that more videos lead to more rights. By joining team WITNESS, you are empowering brave individuals to tell their stories and achieve justice.
How It Works:
- Register with Team WITNESS. Registration for charity partners opens after the official lottery drawing on March 8, and closes on September 15. Note that spots are limited and will go quickly – so the sooner you reach out, the better!
- Meet your fundraising minimum by November 30, 2016 – with help from our amazing fundraising team. Each runner commits to raising $3,000 in support of WITNESS’ programs. But you don’t have to do this alone! You’ll have the full-support of our in-house fundraising team, who will help you out with strategies, tips, and additional assistance.
- Run your heart out in the 2016 TCS New York City Marathon!
As a member of Team WITNESS, you will receive:
- A guaranteed spot on the starting line on November 6;
- A personalized witness jersey;
- A complimentary NYRR training program to help with your training (with options for 20, 16, and 12-week training schedules);
- Invitations to special WITNESS events;
- Fundraising tips and strategies to help you meet your goals;
- An amazing team of human rights defenders to train and share your journey with.
Interested in joining the team? Contact email@example.com to learn more and secure your spot today.